Safety Committee Meeting
Date: Oct 3, 2019
Time: 11:30 am
Location: Terrace B.C.
In Attendance: Gerald Pomerleau (Staff), Ramesh Parmar (Union), Jeremy Vandenbroek (Union), Ravi Sandhu (Staff), and Shannon Lopushinsky (Main office – clerical)
Minutes read from Aug 29, 2019 Meeting. Motion to accept them as read: Jeremy V.
Called to Order: Ravi 11:40@am
Review Accident Investigations.
- Nov 16th – Near Miss – submitted to Worksafe BC– pedestrian signs are installed, but lights installed, ready for testing. This Saturday July 27, 2019 – Kane
Review all First Aid Visits.
- DOI July 30, went to doctor late September and upgraded to Med Aid “ Head saw Change cut finger”, now A/I required. – Dean Neufeld.
- DOI Aug 22, #3 Chipper throat jam-up, worker used 2×4 to clear it. Caused workers right thumb to strike side of chipper. – Dean to finish A/I as Control Action is Missing.
- DOI Sep 28, no first aid visit – Injured neck, back and tooth, while moving cable across TB table, hit his head on cable tray. – Kane Jardine.
- New WHMIS 2015 Training – worksitesafety.ca – Planer is done. Sawmill – working through their people, Maintenance not complete.
- Upgrade New Guard Audit Book (Need to hire welders) on going. – Sept/19 – Kane/Gerald/ Tim E.
- PLC or mechanical changes should be documented and given to Ravi for changes to the JSA. e. #2 Barker, New Chain Saw, Sawmill Stacker, Planer Stacker. Roger Mogg & Travis Porter to advise Ravi of these changes to be made to the JSA’s. Supervisors to discuss these changes with their crews. (Permanent Changes Only) For temporary changes Electricians should notify the Supervisors via email immediately. (Electricians to email Ravi information to get this done)
- Install anchor points in areas for more frequent elevated surfaces. – Travis Porter to advise areas required. (Kane will find out where to install them.)
- Suggested more time needed for Safety Tours will be done following Thursday after Safety Meeting. – Next Tour date will be Oct 10th (12noon – 2pm)– Ravi & Ramesh for the Planer – Jeremy & Gerald for the Sawmill.
- Company Policy on re-orientation of employees who have never been through the process and repeat every 3 years. Monthly safety meeting review videos with crews, break up the process into 10 – 45 mins sessions. —Ravi/Dean/Frank/Vik/Dallas/Kane/Gerald – (use Lap Top with projector in Lunchrooms) – Location of Presentation S:/Safety/Young Workers/Safe work Frank2 – We have new Lap Top.
- Bully & Harassment Course scheduled for Nov 28, 29 in Terrace for Safety Committee, Supervisors & Chargehands.
- Agreement to remove old fog free safety glasses with new style that have foam lining.
- Material Handling – review in more detail next meeting. (pull resources if necessary)
- Training i.e. should always be done by qualified person.
- Use common sense i.e. think before putting hands where they could be smashed or hit. Analise the situation before taking action.
- Use proper tools for the job. e. metal prybars, peeves, pike poles.
- Use proper PPE for the job at hand. i.e. cut proof gloves for changing saws or assisting changing saws. (keep spare sets of gloves in operators booth for this purpose)
- Employees to make sure that PPE is on hand at all times.
- More qualified trainees for each job center for coverage.
- Suggested new voice “guest speaker” for each tail gate safety meeting, not always the Supervisor.
- 45% of our incidents over current Fiscal Year involve material handling.
- Review of Twin Band Tailer JSA and training – focus group (Dean N, Daniel M, Joe A., Joe D. (m/w). & Nirmal S.)
- Determine safer operating practices.
- Develop a set of key work activities.
- Determine any mechanical issues with the equipment.
- Evaluate if training was involved at the times of injuries.
- Designated qualified trainer.
Next meeting will be Oct 31, 2019 at 11:30am.
Meeting Adjourned 3:30 pm@ PM
Email results to: email@example.com