Date: Oct 31, 2019
Time: 11:35 am
Location: Terrace B.C.
In Attendance: Kane Jardine (Staff), Ramesh Parmar (Union), Jeremy Vandenbroek (Union), Dean Neufeld (Staff), and Shannon Lopushinsky (Main office – clerical) – Lionel Chabot – Guest (Review Safety Stategies)
Minutes read from Oct 3, 2019 Meeting. Motion to accept them as read: Dean Neufeld
Called to Order: Kane 11:36@am
Review with Lionel – 16 months of recordable incidents, discussion on how to get our numbers down.
Review Accident Investigations.
- Nov 16th – Near Miss – submitted to Worksafe BC– pedestrian signs are installed, still requires some programming. Needs some tweaking – Kane
Review all First Aid Visits.
- DOI July 30, went to doctor late September and upgraded to Med Treatment Head saw Change cut finger”, now A/I required. – Dean Neufeld.
- New WHMIS 2015 Training – worksitesafety.ca – Planer is done. Sawmill – working through their people, Maintenance not complete.
- Upgrade New Guard Audit Book (Need to hire welders) on going. – Sept/19 – Kane/Gerald/ Tim E.
- PLC or mechanical changes should be documented and given to Ravi for changes to the JSA. e. #2 Barker, New Chain Saw, Sawmill Stacker, Planer Stacker. Roger Mogg & Travis Porter to advise Ravi of these changes to be made to the JSA’s. Supervisors to discuss these changes with their crews. (Permanent Changes Only) For temporary changes Electricians should notify the Supervisors via email immediately. (Electricians to email Ravi information to get this done) – Kane to review with Ravi
- Company Policy on re-orientation of employees who have never been through the process and repeat every 3 years. Monthly safety meeting review videos with crews, break up the process into 10 – 45 mins sessions. —Ravi/Dean/Frank/Vik/Dallas/Kane/Gerald – (use Lap Top with projector in Lunchrooms) – Location of Presentation S:/Safety/Young Workers/Safe work Frank2 – We have new Lap Top.
- Bully & Harassment Course scheduled for Nov 28, 29 in Terrace for Safety Committee, Supervisors & Chargehands. Venue will be at the Comfort Inn Board Room 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Safety Tours will now happen on the last Wednesday of each month (November exception due to Safety committee training) – Next Tour will be Nov 26 and Safety Meeting Nov 27.
- Reviewed new safety glasses – Shannon will look for glasses with out foam lining for those who don’t want it.
- Audit of JSA’s at job stations i.e. condition and or missing.
- Supervisors should be checking Tour notes to ensure completion of projects, with more attention to Category A and B.
- First Aid Stats over last 16 months to be reviewed by Supervisors to discuss possible strategies to lower MIR score.
- Material Handling – review in more detail next meeting. (pull resources if necessary)
- Training i.e. should always be done by qualified person.
- Use common sense i.e. think before putting hands where they could be smashed or hit. Analise the situation before taking action.
- Use proper tools for the job. e. metal prybars, peeves, pike poles.
- Use proper PPE for the job at hand. i.e. cut proof gloves for changing saws or assisting changing saws. (keep spare sets of gloves in operators booth for this purpose)
- Employees to make sure that PPE is on hand at all times.
- More qualified trainees for each job center for coverage.
- Suggested new voice “guest speaker” for each tail gate safety meeting, not always the Supervisor.
- 45% of our incidents over current Fiscal Year involve material handling.
- Review of Twin Band Tailer JSA and training – focus group (Dean N, Daniel M, Joe A., Joe D. (m/w). & Nirmal S.)
- Determine safer operating practices.
- Develop a set of key work activities.
- Determine any mechanical issues with the equipment.
- Evaluate if training was involved at the times of injuries.
- Designated qualified trainer.
- Camera was installed for procedure review.
Next meeting will be Nov 27, 2019 at 11:30am.
Meeting Adjourned 3:20 pm@ PM
Email results to: email@example.com