Date: Nov 27, 2019
Time: 11:40 am
Location: Terrace B.C.
In Attendance: Gerald Pomerleau (Staff), Ramesh Parmar (Union), Jeremy Vandenbroek (Union) Corey Vandenbroek (Union), Dean Neufeld (Staff), Ravinder Sandhu (Staff), and Shannon Lopushinsky (Main office – clerical)
Minutes read from Oct 31, 2019 Meeting. Motion to accept them as read: Jeremy V.
Called to Order: Ravi 11:35@am
Review Accident Investigations.
- Nov 1 – Worker was rolling a piece of 8″ channel, 22′ long nest to the steel pile in the yard. When worker was rolling channel, it flipped when worker had a good grip. Worker felt a strain in his left shoulder. – Gerald/Kane (went to doctor Nov 26)
- Nov 17 – Worker was resetting sprinkler system. While trying to break free a 1” drain plug that was very tight, it let go hitting the back of his hand against a wood wall. (Preliminary done) – Final to be completed with Gerald and worker.
Review all First Aid Visits.
- DOI July 30, went to doctor late September and upgraded to Med Treatment Head saw Change cut finger”, now A/I required. – Dean Neufeld. Nov 29 – 3pm
- New WHMIS 2015 Training – worksitesafety.ca – Planer is done. Sawmill – working through their people, Maintenance not complete.
- Upgrade New Guard Audit Book (Need to hire welders) on going. – Sept/19 – Kane/Gerald/ Tim E.
- Company Policy on re-orientation of employees who have never been through the process and repeat every 3 years. Monthly safety meeting review videos with crews, break up the process into 10 – 45 mins sessions. —Ravi/Dean/Frank/Vik/Dallas/Kane/Gerald – (use Lap Top with projector in Lunchrooms) – Location of Presentation S:/Safety/Young Workers/Safe work Frank2 – We have new Lap Top. – Starting Jan, 2020.
- PLC or mechanical changes should be documented and given to Ravi for changes to the JSA. e. #2 Barker, WLC infeed to the Canter log deck, New Chain Saw, Sawmill Stacker, Planer Stacker, Planer Bander. Travis Porter to advise Ravi of these changes to be made to the JSA’s. Supervisors to discuss these changes with their crews. (Permanent Changes Only) For temporary changes Electricians should notify the Supervisors via email immediately. (Travis Porter to email Ravi information to get this done) –Gerald to review with Ravi – Dec 9
- Bring a guest to next Safety Meeting. – Dec 19
- More Safety Posters – Dec 31
- New Safety Bulletin Boards – Dec 31
- Accident Free yearly stickers – for employees who go one full Calendar year with no Medical Aids, Medical Treatments, or Time Loss Accidents. Stickers will say Accident free for 2018,2019 etc. – Jan 15, 2020
- Continue safety recognition discussion(Dean has picture)
- Repeat incidents by same person to first aid i.e. 2 times or more per month – recommend review of Safe practice awareness with worker. To be done by Supervisor. – immediate.
- Material Handling – review in more detail next meeting. (pull resources if necessary)
- Training i.e. should always be done by qualified person.
- Use common sense i.e. think before putting hands where they could be smashed or hit. Analise the situation before taking action.
- Use proper tools for the job. e. metal prybars, peeves, pike poles.
- Use proper PPE for the job at hand. i.e. cut proof gloves for changing saws or assisting changing saws. (keep spare sets of gloves in operators booth for this purpose)
- Employees to make sure that PPE is on hand at all times.
- More qualified trainees for each job center for coverage.
- Suggested new voice “guest speaker” for each tail gate safety meeting, not always the Supervisor.
- 49% of our incidents over current Fiscal Year involve material handling.
- Review of Twin Band Tailer JSA and training – focus group (Dean N, Daniel M, Joe A., Joe D. (m/w). & Nirmal S.)
- Determine safer operating practices.
- Develop a set of key work activities.
- Determine any mechanical issues with the equipment.
- Evaluate if training was involved at the times of injuries.
- Designated qualified trainer.
- Camera was installed for procedure review.
Next meeting will be Dec 19, 2019 at 11:30am.
Meeting Adjourned 3:15 pm@ PM
Email results to: firstname.lastname@example.org