Safety Committee Meeting
Date: July 30, 2020
Time: 11:30 am
Location: Terrace B.C.
In Attendance: Jeremy Vandenbroek (Union), Gerald Pomerleau (Union) , Ravinder Sandhu (Staff), Ramesh Parmar (Staff), Raju Gill (Clerical)
Minutes read from June 25th, 2019 Meeting. Motion to accept them as read:
Called to Order: Ravinder Sandhu at 11:35am
Review Accident Investigations.
- Dec 2 – need an incident investigation done for debris in eye. Kane J.(Not work related).
- Feb 3 – Worker’s left thumb was caught in chop saw. He was cutting metal, while holding the metal it got sucked in and left thumb was cut. – (Not Required but Safety Committee recommendation) In School not back April 9th.- Ravi S.
- Jun10 – Lifting Headsaw onto Grinder with Sawfiler as turning it over the saw touched his head cutting him. – Kane J (Preliminary done – actual will be done July 17, 2020)
- Jun 14 – Worker was putting a sprocket on a shaft (with heat/torch) While pushing the sprocket, his hands were heating inside the worn gloves resulting in blisters on both hands – Kane J.
- Jun 22 – Employee was getting the Kiln ready. He was lowering the top baffles onto the loads of wood. His hand slipped off the crank and it spun hitting the employee on the right arm, above his elbow. (No A/I required however, Kane will alter the baffle door handles. – July 25, 2020)
Review all First Aid Visits.
- Noted some workers with more than 2 visits to first aid, Supervisors to discuss possible safer ways of doing things.
- Material Handling incidents are at 54% with 39% of them Production workers and 15% of them Maintenance workers.
- Upgrade New Guard Audit Book (Need to hire welders) on going. – Kane/Gerald/ Tim E.
- Create a list of Job Centers with changes that require updating JSA’s. Ravi S. (List to be saved on “S” Drive and named “List of Job Centers requiring updates”.
- Post bulletin at every location on Covid 19 Symptoms and remind workers and contractors not to enter this workplace if they have any symptoms, and to call Health Link BC at 811.
- Teri Mandur is sanitizing First Aid Rooms between patients (Monday – Friday 6:30am – 4:00pm) her company cell phone is 250-641-4988. If sanitization is necessary during evenings and weekends, please use first aid attendant on site. Teri is not expected to do this during her off hours.
- The Safety Committee is recommending for everyone to wear disposable gloves as added protection. (Not mandatory but suggesting because people touch their faces less often with gloves on and hand sanitizer on top the disposable gloves will not cause hands to dry out.)
- Everyone to wear their masks at all times on site (unless 2 meters or more away from fellow workers.)
- Reviewed all other Covid 19 Bulletins from Worksafe BC – they are saved on the S Drive under Safety Committee Meetings – Separate Folder “Covid Postings”. Supervisors can discuss with their teams during Tool Box Talks.
- Discussed Lionel’s Face Mask Memo because of the recent cases of COVID-19. Safety committee recommends keeping the face mask policy as is.
- Hire a contractor or repair our old truck to control the dust in the yard.
- We should contact Greg regarding the pallet plant transport truck over filling truck and spilling bark shavings saw dust en route to pallet plant.
- Sweepers as backup plan in certain areas.
- Look at filling potholes in the yard.
- Next safety inspection August 24th Sawmill conducted by Gerald & Jeremy, Planet by Ravi & Ramesh.
- Covid-19 Safety Protocols.
Next meeting will be August 27, 2020 at 11:30am.
Meeting Adjourned 3:00pm
Email results to: email@example.com