Safety Committee Meeting
Date: January 30, 2020
Time: 11:40 am
Location: Terrace B.C.
In Attendance: Gerald Pomerleau (Staff), Ramesh Parmar (Union), Jeremy Vandenbroek (Union) , Ravinder Sandhu (Staff)
Minutes read from Jan 9th, 2019 Meeting. Motion to accept them as read: Ravi Sandhu
Called to Order: Jeremy Vandenboek at 11:50am
Review Accident Investigations.
- Dec 27 – need an incident investigation done for McGehee fall. Kane J.
- Dec 2 – need an incident investigation done for debris in eye. Gerald P
- Jan 13 – require an incident investigation to be done on Hypothermia case – Vik M.
Review all First Aid Visits.
- Jan 24 – injury regarding squished finger between Canter Motor and frame – Gerald P to investigate whether this injury should have A/I done.
- New WHMIS 2015 Training – worksitesafety.ca – Planer is done. Sawmill – working through their people, Maintenance not complete. All departments are working on new employees.
- Upgrade New Guard Audit Book (Need to hire welders) on going. – Kane/Gerald/ Tim E.
- Company Policy on re-orientation of employees who have never been through the process and repeat every 3 years. Monthly safety meeting review videos with crews, break up the process into 10 – 45 mins sessions. —Ravi/Dean/Frank/Vik/Dallas/Kane/Gerald – (use Lap Top with projector in Lunchrooms) – Location of Presentation S:/Safety/Young Workers/Safe work Frank2 – We have new Lap Top.
- PLC or mechanical changes should be documented and given to Ravi for changes to the JSA. e. #2 Barker, WLC infeed to the Canter log deck, New Chain Saw, Sawmill Stacker, Planer Stacker, Planer Bander. Travis Porter to advise Ravi of these changes to be made to the JSA’s. Supervisors to discuss these changes with their crews. (Permanent Changes Only) For temporary changes Electricians should notify the Supervisors via email immediately. (Travis Porter to email Ravi information to get this done) – Gerald will speak with Travis Porter when he gets back in town.
- Accident Free yearly stickers – will be awarded for the years that an employee is accident free, going back to 2015. (No records before that) If the employee has the following; Medical Aids, Medical Treatments, Restricted work or Time Loss Accidents the clock gets reset to start over. Stickers will say Accident free for 1 year, 2 year – Ravi will look after this.
- Safety Committee is recommending that our Security Employees are trained as Level l First Aid. Cost will be 1 days wages plus $120.
- Go back to all day Safety Meetings so that Tours don’t get missed. Start meetings at 7am
- Tours to be broken into separate sections in the Sawmill i.e. Hog to Pony Edger, Waste System, Debarkers etc.
- Material Handling – review in more detail next meeting. (pull resources if necessary)
- Employees to make sure that PPE is on hand at all times.
- Suggested new voice “guest speaker” for each tail gate safety meeting, not always the Supervisor.
- 49% of our incidents over current Fiscal Year involve material handling.
- Review of Twin Band Tailer JSA and training – focus group (Dean N, Daniel M, Joe A., Joe D. (m/w). & Nirmal S.)
- Determine safer operating practices.
- Develop a set of key work activities.
- Determine any mechanical issues with the equipment.
- Evaluate if training was involved at the times of injuries.
- Designated qualified trainer.
- Camera was installed for procedure review.
Next meeting will be Feb 27, 2020 at 7am.
Meeting Adjourned 2:35 pm@ PM
Email results to: firstname.lastname@example.org