Safety Committee Meeting
Date: Aug 29, 2019
Time: 11:30 am
Location: Terrace B.C.
In Attendance: Gerald Pomerleau (Sawmill), Ramesh Parmar (Planer), Cory Vandenbroek, Ravi Sandhu, and Raju Gill (Main office – clerical)
Minutes read from July 25, 2019 Meeting. Motion to accept them as read: Ravi S.
Called to Order: Ravi 11:42@am
Review Accident Investigations.
- Nov 16th – Near Miss – submitted to Worksafe BC– pedestrian signs are installed, but lights are ordered. This Saturday July 27, 2019 – Kane
Review all First Aid Visits.
- July 23rd – Worker claims back pain from previous strain – repetition of action in work area has strained workers lower back. – Need Preliminary A/I ASAP!
- New WHMIS 2015 Training – worksitesafety.ca – Planer is done. Sawmill – working through their people, Maintenance is done.
- Upgrade New Guard Audit Book (Need to hire welders). – Sept/19 – Kane/Gerald
- PLC or mechanical changes should be documented and given to Ravi for changes to the JSA. e. #2 Barker, New Chain Saw, Sawmill Stacker, Planer Stacker. Roger Mogg & Travis Porter to advise Ravi of these changes to be made to the JSA’s. Supervisors to discuss these changes with their crews. (Permanent Changes Only) For temporary changes Electricians should notify the Supervisors via email immediately. (Electricians to email Ravi information to get this done)
- Install anchor points in areas for more frequent elevated surfaces. – Travis Porter to advise areas required. (Kane will find out where to install them.)
- Committee to decide the next training course to attend will be – Oct 11th BCFED -Bullying and Harassment. (Currently in Kitimat) If we have enough people attend, perhaps we can change the venue to Terrace.- Shannon to confirm
- Safety Committee evaluation – Completed.
- Suggested more time needed for Safety Tours will be done following Thursday after Safety Meeting. – Next Tour date will be Sep 5st (12noon – 2pm)– Ravi & Ramesh for the Planer – Corey & Gerald for the Sawmill.
- Fire Drill @Sawmill – Evacuation switch issues foreman’s office (now fixed) – some couldn’t hear the horns – log deck areas, stacker and J bar areas. Canter, Twin band, basement area all needs new horns. At the time only one horn was working now up to 7 horns and getting more installed. Will retest again in future once everything is fixed.
- Company Policy on re-orientation of employees who have never been through the process and repeat every 3 years. Monthly safety meeting review videos with crews, break up the process into 10 – 45 mins sessions. —Ravi/Dean/Frank/Vik/Dallas/Kane/Gerald – (use Lap Top with projector in Lunchrooms) – Location of Presentation S:/Safety/Young Workers/Safe work Frank2 – We have new Lap Top.
- Fire Drill @ Planer – Went fairly well, some employees needed to be directed out in proper direction. Horns were heard be everyone.
- Fire Drill @ Sawmill for Cleanup Crew (Afternoon shift) – all responded and appeared at Muster Station within 2 mins.
- Fire Drill @ Main Office – Not all employees could hear the horns from the Sawmill or Planer. Discussion regarding setting up a horn at the main office.
- Material Handling – review in more detail next meeting. (pull resources if necessary)
- 63% of our incidents over past FS Year involve material handling.
Next meeting will be Sep 26, 2019 at 11:30am.
Meeting Adjourned 2:30 pm@ PM
Email results to: firstname.lastname@example.org